Today’s Irish Times carries a report on educational reform which opens with the sentence “Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has backed reform of the Leaving Cert, which would see less stress on rote learning and more on practical work”.
From some recent written evidence, with multiple incorrect spellings, it would seem that he himself has already instituted a change in “rite” learning.
Of course this may all be a simple misunderstanding of the Taoiseach's position. It may well be that he thinks “rote” is the past tense of “rite”.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- RTE - a gravy train we're all paying for.
- Bertie the good shepherd
- Tax Dodgers in Paradise
- McDowell's toys out of pram - again.
- The Haughey tunnel
- The Boss follows in the footsteps of The Chief
- Ronan O'Gara - Alone he stands
- Vincent Browne re-invents GUBU!
- Protocol gone mad
- The missing comma
- Time gentlemen, please.
- Haughey's Medici Complex
- Death of Charles Haughey
- Gone but not forgiven - Charlie Haughey
- That Maths Paper
- Learning to Reed & Rite
- What's the point of the new Garda Traffic Corps?
- Turning up the heat on Michael Moore?
- Re-trying Derry O'Rourke?
- ▼ June (19)