Over the weekend, UK press reports that not only will Tony Blair convert to catholicism when he leaves No 10 but that he also wants to be ordained as a Deacon.
The Blair’s catholic cleric was on Andrew Marr’s BBC TV programme yesterday morning, he’s recently written a book about his own horrific childhood, but he refused to answer any questions about Blair’s personal religious leanings or intent. However, he confirmed that a catholic deacon can perform many services including preaching, baptism and marriage but he can’t celebrate mass. So if the press reports are correct, Blair could be a busy man post-No.10.
It seems odd that the Prime Minister has to be so coy about his religious beliefs, but perhaps it’s not all that surprising.
About a year ago, Blair was explaining that he didn’t go to war in Iraq on a mere whim or just to keep in with the USA. He stressed how seriously he had considered the decision, pointing out that it wasn’t just the judgement of the court of public opinion or history he had to face, he would ultimately be judged by God for his actions.
Immediately, much of the media and the anti-war brigade jumped on this to ridicule Blair, presenting it as proof that religion and politics don’t mix. They deliberately mis-represented what he’d said, twisting it to mean that Blair believed God had given him the nod for the Iraq war.
Which wasn’t at all what he’d either said or meant. But it did illustrate how readily the media could and would use any religious utterings by him in order to damage him. Even if he has already converted to catholicism, he’s a wise man to keep it quiet till he leaves No 10.
The spin around Blair isn’t all one-way!
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Venus v. Mars - again!
- Britain to reciprocate with Ahern Chair endowment
- Tony Blair's Legacy - and he hasn't even left yet....
- How Gerry Adams paid for that Donegal holiday home...
- Government saving buyers from sellers!
- Bertie's Missing Money
- Political Banners
- An Taoiseach mis-speaks, again.
- Outgoing FF Minister claims authorship of Environm...
- Greens - the new Fianna Fail Lite
- Greens in office but not in power!
- Who'll be next leader of Green Party?
- Sargent sacrifice a necessary fig-leaf for Greens
- The fate of the man in the white suit?
- Blair to become catholic deacon?
- Chavez - time to Chile out!
- One Night in Paris
- How do you get on Pat Kenny's panel?
- Green Party VAT Policy seems misguided
- Boyd Barrett Bullsh1t
- It's Thatcher time
- Dutch blocked air support before Srebrenica massac...
- Are FF the only party honestly enaged in the curre...
- The Mother Teresa of broadcasting
- Who'll win Political Gobshite of the Year 2007?
- ▼ June (25)
- ► 2006 (265)