Doctor (Samuel) Johnson (1709-1784) famously said that “patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel”.
Finance Minister Brian Lenihan inadvertently reminded us of this truism with the closing line of his budget speech last Tuesday.
Having squandered the boom years, the Government is now demonstrating how to foul up a recovery programme. It’s handling of the over-70s medical card issue should be a case study in how not to do it.
The two Brians have gone from zero to hero and back again in the space of a couple of weeks.
What an incompetent bunch of scoundrels!
It also strikes me that PD will always be with us – as we exit the Progressive Democrats, enter Patriotic Duty.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- Putting Conor Lenihan, & the Blueshirts, to bed.
- Brand & Ross - good riddance
- Sorting out the Pupil-Teacher ratios
- India's gone to the moon.
- Cowen - some thoughts from abroad
- The Green Party - victims of Stockholm Syndrome?
- Patriotism is the last refuge of Fianna Fail
- Clipping the President's wings.
- They always get you in the end
- The Green Mudguard
- Firing blanks at Ryan Tubridy
- Banks already repaying the Government
- ▼ October (12)
- ► 2007 (215)
- ► 2006 (265)