1. The Government has recently announced cutbacks in Departmental spending on advertising and PR, as part of a wider programme of cost-cutting measures.
2. This is one of the wettest summers on record, with typically 3-4 times the long-term average rain fall in June & July, with the forecast for August no better.
Yet we’re currently being treated to a series of radio ads warning people not to waste precious drinking water by watering their lawns.
It’s simply unbelievable that people would be watering lawns this summer, given the volume of rainfall the entire country has been drenched with. In fact, owners of lawns have been hard pressed to get a couple of dry days in which to cut their grass!
So what idiot decided to create and air these completely irrelevant ads at public expense? Is it simply another case of utter incompetence in the public service? Or is it some cynical civil servant showing two-fingers to the Government and, more pointedly, his/her own line minister?
Whichever it is, someone should be getting a boot up the backside.
PS: I've subsequently spotted some large billboard (48-sheet) posters promoting the same idiotic message.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- It's time to declutter the Olympics.
- Rugby ELVs & Lansdowne 10-year Tickets
- Willie O'Dea & the Temple of Gloom
- Bush & Co in the Kremlin
- 3rd Level Fees - who should pay?
- The passing of Ronnie Drew
- A pet is for life.
- Russian invasion of Georgia - questions for Ireland
- Are you watering your lawn?
- Gordon Brown - rewrote "loyalty to leader" rules.
- Brian Cowen - the Lisbon impasse!
- ▼ August (11)
- ► 2007 (215)
- ► 2006 (265)