Saturday, March 18, 2006

Salvation & Betrayal in the same instant

Well thank God Cheltenham is over for another year - and I just managed to get out alive.

I backed War of Attrition @ 12/1 last Monday and he got me out of jail yesterday. I watched the race at home with the wife, who knew well which horse I’d backed.

My nag was looking good at the second last, but Hedgehunter began to close ominously as they came to the last. As they jumped the last almost together, imagine my surprise when a great shout of “Come on, Hedgehunter” issued from the couch beside me! That’s loyalty for you! Or, as Albert Reynolds would say, “that’s wimmin for ya!”

So, only two winners from 14 bets over the 4 days - War of Attrition @ 12/1 and Brave Inca @ 19/10 - but luckily they were my two biggest, though still modest, bets.

Two more Irish winners yesterday, War of Attrition (15/2) and Whyso Mayo (20/1) brought the Irish total for the week to 10 winners from 24 races over the four days. Yet most Irish punters will have lost money because many of these were the less fancied of the multiple Irish entries in almost every race.

And there’s 3 rugby matches to bet on today, plus the outcome of the 6 Nations and the Triple Crown. No wonder we're all exhausted.

No comments:

Blog Archive