RTE News must be rooting for the present government, because they made a big news item today of the announcement by the Minister for Sport, John "the Bull" O’Donoghue, that the Solheim Cup is to be played in Ireland in 2011.
We were told that this is the ladies golf equivalent of the Ryder Cup, but it’s to be played at a course that hasn’t yet been built - the Killeen Castle course in Co Meath, which has been designed by Jack Nicklaus.
The fact that it’s to be played on a course that isn’t even open yet should be a bit of a giveaway that this is a non-news story.
In addition, ladies professional golf must be one of the least well supported professional games in existence, so comparisons with the Ryder Cup are complete nonsense. If it achieves even 1% of the television viewership figures enjoyed by the Ryder Cup it will qualify as a broadcasting miracle.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- Political decision-making
- Taking the michael
- Batting for the batless
- Traveller Ping-Pong with Brenda
- What's McDowell reading?
- Still Travelling
- Revenge of the knee-high men.
- Txt Smrtns
- The Godfather speaks
- Not all travellers are equal
- Battleground for the next election
- Moriarty musings
- We were travellers too.
- Sunday Times Traveller
- Xmas Cracker Puzzle for grown-ups
- Politics and Gun & Drug Crime
- More BUPA
- Breaking News - Solheim Cup for Ireland
- Bye Bye BUPA
- In praise of the frying pan
- Age of Consent
- The First Time Buyer as Investor
- Redefining "The Family"
- Money talks - sometimes it makes sense.
- First Time Buyer Mirage
- Start working on New Year's Resolutions
- Paddy (abuse of) Power
- Snowed Under by Iraq Study Group Report
- Ever been savaged by a dead sheep?
- The unknown unknowns of Donald Rumsfeld
- Travellers - Moving On?
- The mental health of O'Malley's defence
- Black humour lives!
- Rumsfeld's U-Turn?
- Pre-budget speculation
- Paying your way!
- ▼ December (36)