I was surprised to hear on the morning news that the Samaritans now have a text-based counselling service which is aimed at younger people. It was launched some months ago and they claim that it’s quite popular, with thousands of text messages received each week.
You can see the attraction for the Samaritans - you could easily devise intelligent software to automate the responses, eliminating the need for round-the-clock volunteers. They will be able to provide a more extensive service at lower cost.
But I find it hard to imagine someone who needs the help of the Samaritans choosing to communicate via something as impersonal as text when they need someone to talk them down off a tall building or bridge.
Personally, I hate the abbreviated txt msgs favoured by youthful texters and those silly hieroglyphics :-) which often accompany them.
I can see myself manning the phones some evening and trying, in vain, to decipher a call for help written in this gibberish. In my dream I finally snap and, in frustration, text back “Jump, you worthless turd”.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- Political decision-making
- Taking the michael
- Batting for the batless
- Traveller Ping-Pong with Brenda
- What's McDowell reading?
- Still Travelling
- Revenge of the knee-high men.
- Txt Smrtns
- The Godfather speaks
- Not all travellers are equal
- Battleground for the next election
- Moriarty musings
- We were travellers too.
- Sunday Times Traveller
- Xmas Cracker Puzzle for grown-ups
- Politics and Gun & Drug Crime
- More BUPA
- Breaking News - Solheim Cup for Ireland
- Bye Bye BUPA
- In praise of the frying pan
- Age of Consent
- The First Time Buyer as Investor
- Redefining "The Family"
- Money talks - sometimes it makes sense.
- First Time Buyer Mirage
- Start working on New Year's Resolutions
- Paddy (abuse of) Power
- Snowed Under by Iraq Study Group Report
- Ever been savaged by a dead sheep?
- The unknown unknowns of Donald Rumsfeld
- Travellers - Moving On?
- The mental health of O'Malley's defence
- Black humour lives!
- Rumsfeld's U-Turn?
- Pre-budget speculation
- Paying your way!
- ▼ December (36)