Not content with taking the michael out of Michael McDowell in blog, I've emailed the following to several newspapers and a variety of radio current affairs shows. While they may not air it, hopefully it will be the subject of a laugh down in the pub and, in Dublin's tight media/politics circle, it will eventually get back to the great man himself.
All year-end reviews of politics in 2006 include Justice Minister Michael McDowell’s extraordinary “Dr Goebbels” outburst, which was itself quite ironic, coming as it did from the most prolific propagandist seen for many decades in Irish politics.
I was amused to discover that the real Dr Goebbels was the author of a semi-autobiographical novel titled “Michael”, which was first published in 1929. The English translation of “Michael” is currently available from Amazon, surely the perfect gift for the man who has almost everything?
Footnote: Published as a letter in the Irish Independent & the Irish Examiner
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- Political decision-making
- Taking the michael
- Batting for the batless
- Traveller Ping-Pong with Brenda
- What's McDowell reading?
- Still Travelling
- Revenge of the knee-high men.
- Txt Smrtns
- The Godfather speaks
- Not all travellers are equal
- Battleground for the next election
- Moriarty musings
- We were travellers too.
- Sunday Times Traveller
- Xmas Cracker Puzzle for grown-ups
- Politics and Gun & Drug Crime
- More BUPA
- Breaking News - Solheim Cup for Ireland
- Bye Bye BUPA
- In praise of the frying pan
- Age of Consent
- The First Time Buyer as Investor
- Redefining "The Family"
- Money talks - sometimes it makes sense.
- First Time Buyer Mirage
- Start working on New Year's Resolutions
- Paddy (abuse of) Power
- Snowed Under by Iraq Study Group Report
- Ever been savaged by a dead sheep?
- The unknown unknowns of Donald Rumsfeld
- Travellers - Moving On?
- The mental health of O'Malley's defence
- Black humour lives!
- Rumsfeld's U-Turn?
- Pre-budget speculation
- Paying your way!
- ▼ December (36)