There’s a TV ad running at the moment which aims to promote tourism in South Armagh.
The ad features a young couple entering a busy pub, lively with chat and traditional music, which goes completely silent as they enter. They stop in the doorway looking nervous. The barman, with a slightly menacing look, leans on the bar and addresses them: “You’re not from round here. You’ll be wanting to buy us a drink, it’s tradition.” Then finally the barman grins, the hushed crowd in the bar laughs and the strangers finally smile in relief.
Given that South Armagh has long been known as bandit country, with “sniper at work” placards routinely decorating telegraph poles in the county, such a reception in a pub there would scare the bejasus out of any sensible person.
I don’t know what ad agency came up with this or who approved it on behalf of the client, but neither party deserves any marks for the application of brainpower.
Footnote: I accessed their website www.south-armagh.com and emailed this view to them.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Kenny on Immigration
- A short break in bandit country, anyone?
- Brand Goody
- Going Nuclear on the Health Service
- The real Dr Goebbels
- Breaking the Consultants Stranglehold
- Dull & Duller?
- Helping the real First time Buyers
- Killeen Kock-Up
- Parking in D(e)L(e)R(ium)CoCo
- Plastered at Sunrise
- US Presidential race 2008
- Lord of the Pants
- Heineken Cupset
- Saddam's Cat
- The Killeen Episode
- Moher International Airport
- Limerick limericks
- Micheal "Gekko" O'Leary
- How's your battery?
- Fly KennyAir
- The Bull O'Donoghue
- Blue Circle Luas Line
- Can Gerry Robinson fix the Health service?
- New Iraq Strategy - Bush Senior's input.
- Justice v. The Law
- Parking Tax
- Curing A&E?
- There was life before Microsoft
- Nominating Deasy for top media award
- Taking the piss out of Oscar
- More Fine Gael eejits
- Past his best
- FG's Gobshite of the Year - already!
- Traveller Ping Pong 2
- ▼ January (36)
- ► 2006 (265)