April 16th 2007 was Yom Hashoah, Holocaust Remembrance Day and a national holiday in Israel.
On that day, Liviu Librescu was one of 32 people murdered at Virginia Tech by Cho Seung-Hui. He was shot through the door of his classroom, holding it shut while Cho was attempting to get in. However, Librescu managed to block the door long enough for his students to escape through the classroom windows
The irony is that Librescu was himself a Holocaust survivor, a Romanian jew, born in 1930, who had been interned in a labour camp and later deported to a ghetto.
You’d think he’d already been through enough shit to last anyone more than one lifetime, without finding himself having to make the ultimate sacrifice in his 77th year. RIP.
Meanwhile, the National Rifle Association has come up with the perfect answer to the lobby calling for greater gun control in the wake of this massacre. They cite the ban on carrying weapons on the Virginia Tech campus as the being real problem. If only the teachers and their students had been carrying weapons they could have stopped Cho earlier in his killing spree.
That answer displays the twisted logic of the NRA, an organisation that has a lot to answer for.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Fianna Fail Green Strategy omission
- Manchester United v. The Consultants
- Crime & Punishment
- Space Tourism
- Who's managing the Health Service?
- Virginia Tech Hero
- "Mickey Mouse" denial
- Is Sinn Fein abstentionism a legitimate political ...
- Consultants Dispute
- Mickey Mouse Money
- Alarming news.
- Another victim of the Mad Molecule Theory?
- Have you nothing smaller?
- From stable to betting exchange
- The cost of Health
- Those benefits of EBS mutuality
- Mother & Child rights
- Remember, remember
- Bertiegate revisited
- Marketing in action
- The Shinners fight back
- What's sauce for the honkey...
- Time for Sinn Féin MPs to take their seats
- Is it me?
- What's a "work to rule" in 21st century?
- Boston, Berlin or Paris?
- What's Ireland in french?
- ▼ April (27)
- ► 2006 (265)