Jim Bolger’s Teofilo has been the short-priced ante-post favourite for the Newmarket 2000 Guineas for several months. Typically available at 5/4, his odds on Betfair betting exchange suddenly shot out to 10/1 for a short time yesterday. This was despite telephone confirmation yesterday morning to the Racing Post by Jim Bolger that the horse was fit and well and all systems were go for next month’s first colt’s classic of the season.
Most bookies immediately suspended betting on the Guineas, pending clarification from the stable as to the horse’s well-being.
Later in the day is was confirmed that the horse had suffered a slight setback. Jim Bolger issued a statement in the afternoon which said that "Teofilo has had a training setback. When trotted yesterday afternoon he showed slight discomfort. "As a result, his training will be restricted to walking and swimming for one week. Otherwise, he is fit and well and on target for his 2,000 Guineas tilt on May 5.”
It just shows you how quickly sensitive information gets from the stable to the betting exchanges.
Most bookies have now restored Teofilo to race favouritism, slightly lengthening his odds to between 6/4 & 2/1.
Hopefully someone snapped up that 10/1 on Betfair and will make a killing on race day. ’Cos I’ve backed Teofilo @ 16/1 for the Guineas - great odds but worth nothing if he doesn’t run.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Fianna Fail Green Strategy omission
- Manchester United v. The Consultants
- Crime & Punishment
- Space Tourism
- Who's managing the Health Service?
- Virginia Tech Hero
- "Mickey Mouse" denial
- Is Sinn Fein abstentionism a legitimate political ...
- Consultants Dispute
- Mickey Mouse Money
- Alarming news.
- Another victim of the Mad Molecule Theory?
- Have you nothing smaller?
- From stable to betting exchange
- The cost of Health
- Those benefits of EBS mutuality
- Mother & Child rights
- Remember, remember
- Bertiegate revisited
- Marketing in action
- The Shinners fight back
- What's sauce for the honkey...
- Time for Sinn Féin MPs to take their seats
- Is it me?
- What's a "work to rule" in 21st century?
- Boston, Berlin or Paris?
- What's Ireland in french?
- ▼ April (27)
- ► 2006 (265)