So Boris Johnson has beaten the incumbent Ken Livingstone in the election for Mayor of London.
I saw Boris's old man interviewed tonight on BBC - before the final result was in. He re-assured viewers that Boris was a serious candidate, on the basis that he had given up drink for the past 3 months. Johnson Pere pointed out that anyone who would make such an onerous sacrifice was (a) serious about the political quest and (b) worthy of consideration as a weighty candidate. Clearly idiocy doesn't skip a generation.
Which of them would I want go for a pint with? Boris.
Which would I want as mayor of my city? Ken.
Cameron should remember the old adage "be careful what you wish for". Cos if Mayor Boris turns out to be the same old buffoon we're all familiar with, he'll be Labour's trump card at the next general election.
But at least the Green candidate (3.15%) beat the BNP candidate (2.84%). I'd bet that an SUV candidate would have hammered both.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- Rising electricity, gas & fuel prices - plus Carbo...
- Wasteful Quangos
- Carbon Taxes? I don't think so.
- It's time we had real Farmers' Markets
- Biffo's threats and waffle
- Did Cowen mislead the Dáil?
- Cancer care in Mayo, Sligo & Donegal.
- Biffo & Mary Coughlan - The Touchy & Tetchy Show
- Dustin plucked & stuffed in Belgrade
- Credit Crunch hits Dublin PPP developments?
- Waterford Wedgwood: the ultimate in unused wedding...
- Bev's chance of a quick promotion?
- Time to tax aviation fuel.
- Boris Johnson elected Mayor of London
- Brian's priorities
- Bertie's address to Congress
- ▼ May (16)
- ► 2007 (215)
- ► 2006 (265)