The ink was hardly dry on the emergency budget before the u-turns began. The vested interests, in this case the politicians themselves, appear to have prevailed again.
The result is that the credibility of the Government’s efforts to devise and execute a coherent plan to get the economy out of the current mess is further undermined.
This post-budget confusion only serves to confirm their inability to face down vested interests.
The country can no longer afford to simply throw money at problems, it’s time we had some firm and decisive political leadership.
Footnote: Published as a letter in the Irish Independent & the Irish Examiner.
- ► 2010 (44)
- Judging Ferriter
- Has a succession of FF-led Govts deliberately misl...
- More budget U-Turns - these ones favour the politi...
- Shamus Heeney replies to Paul Krugman
- Titanic change to the junior ministerial ranks.
- What constitutes an academic exercise?
- It's baNAMArama time!
- Legal problems getting snouts out of public financ...
- A "Smoke & Daggers" budget!
- First Ladies jointly promote Charity Shops
- Michelle Obama's advice: Marry the right guy!
- ▼ April (11)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- ► 2006 (265)