Nobel-prize winning economist Paul Krugman punned 'Erin Go Broke' to headline his recent article in the New York Times.
Perhaps we could get our own Nobel Laureate to draft a suitable riposte on behalf of the nation, to let Mr Krugman know that, while we may be down, we're certainly not out.
In the interim here's a piece of doggerel, written by Shamus Heeney rather than Seamus Heaney
'Erin Go Broke
An igNobel joke
Consigns us to the trash can
But we'll laugh last
And, crisis passed,
Refill our glass with Krug, man!'
Footnote: Published as a letter in the Irish Independent
I've also added the "poem" as a a comment to one of Krugman's blogs. Unfortunately not the infamous "Erin Go Broke" blog where it would have been most appropriate, as the NYT had already closed that one to further comments.
- ► 2010 (44)
- Judging Ferriter
- Has a succession of FF-led Govts deliberately misl...
- More budget U-Turns - these ones favour the politi...
- Shamus Heeney replies to Paul Krugman
- Titanic change to the junior ministerial ranks.
- What constitutes an academic exercise?
- It's baNAMArama time!
- Legal problems getting snouts out of public financ...
- A "Smoke & Daggers" budget!
- First Ladies jointly promote Charity Shops
- Michelle Obama's advice: Marry the right guy!
- ▼ April (11)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- ► 2006 (265)