In her weekly Irish Times opinion piece yesterday Breda O’Brien, under the giveaway headline “How will we treat our ’icebox orphans?’”, takes the pro-life stance in support of the woman at the centre of the frozen embryo case currently before the courts and argues for the putative mother’s voice to prevail.
I suspect the courts may well find in her favour, though its decision may not be wholly guided by the need to protect the unborn, however that state is defined. The overarching, though unacknowledged, influence on the decision may well be the societal imprimatur currently accorded to “a woman’s right to choose”.
Which, paradoxically, is a slogan most often associated with the pro-abortion lobby.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- Anyone for swimming or just going through the moti...
- Pity the PDs
- Anyone for "peace in our time"?
- Making sense of it all.
- Balance on RTE
- McDaid's Donegal U-turn
- Any volunteers for Lebanon?
- New Hurling Controversy
- Another McDowell u-turn.
- Just because you're paranoid......
- Frozen Embryos
- No.7 Royale
- End of the Beetniks
- What every middle-aged man needs.
- Icebox Orphans?
- The Teutonic Tiger - buy a DAX Tracker
- Media use terrorists and vice versa.
- Probably Wayne Rooney's favourite credit card
- Probably the best lubricant in the world.
- Bertie's Nitwit
- Donegal Catch 22
- E-Voting - civil service managers asleep at the wheel
- Don't bet, buy the bookies!
- O'Malley Hare & Hound
- ▼ July (24)