It should come as no surprise that Deputy Jim McDaid has done a u-turn on his decision to retire from politics at the next election.
Earlier this year, it emerged that Doctor McDaid had returned full-time to medical practice for several months and yet no-one - his political colleagues, his Donegal constituents or the national or local media - seemed to have noticed that he was no longer operating as a TD.
Clearly it would border on madness for him to voluntarily give up such a valuable and undemanding sinecure, from which Deputy McDaid can earn in excess of €150,000 per annum between his TD's salary and his unvouched, tax-free expenses.
Obviously a very nice little sideline, if you can get it.
On sober reflection, he seems to have come to the same conclusion.
Footnote: Aired on RTE's 5-7 Live programme and published as a letter in the Irish Independent & the Irish Examiner.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- Anyone for swimming or just going through the moti...
- Pity the PDs
- Anyone for "peace in our time"?
- Making sense of it all.
- Balance on RTE
- McDaid's Donegal U-turn
- Any volunteers for Lebanon?
- New Hurling Controversy
- Another McDowell u-turn.
- Just because you're paranoid......
- Frozen Embryos
- No.7 Royale
- End of the Beetniks
- What every middle-aged man needs.
- Icebox Orphans?
- The Teutonic Tiger - buy a DAX Tracker
- Media use terrorists and vice versa.
- Probably Wayne Rooney's favourite credit card
- Probably the best lubricant in the world.
- Bertie's Nitwit
- Donegal Catch 22
- E-Voting - civil service managers asleep at the wheel
- Don't bet, buy the bookies!
- O'Malley Hare & Hound
- ▼ July (24)