Presumably Irish Ferries management believe that they are pursuing a logical business strategy, but the tactics they are employing are repugnant to most observers and seem to put the entire business at risk.
In choosing the nuclear option, they have rejected the alternative September 2005 proposals developed by consultants Greg Sparks and Martin King.
Their proposals included a 5% salary cut, reduced manning levels on ships and the outsourcing of cleaning and catering staff. They also commented critically on the state of internal staff/manangement relationships within the company and the urgent need to repair these if the company was to successfully manage the ongoing change necessary for the company to survive.
SIPTU had indicated they would accept these proposals, a clear indication that the union recognised the need for concessions and acceptance that the current operating model is not sustainable in the medium to long term.
Given this union acceptance of the need for change, is it not puzzling that these alternative proposals appear to have been also rejected by the Labour Court? Their latest recommendation that the company simply maintain the status quo was surely issued in the certain knowledge that it could not be acceptable to the company.
If the industrial relations machinery of the state operates in an apparently illogical fashion, it’s hard to envisage any middle-ground resolution of this ugly dispute.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- ► 2006 (265)
- The Parable of the Snake
- The Real Culcheral Capital
- Adiós Siesta
- Publication of 1975 Government Papers
- New Year Resolutions
- Bring on the Chat Chopper
- It's Tanfastic!
- Christmas thoughts
- Woman of the Year Nominee
- Gott in Himmel!
- What would Darwin know about it?
- Anyone for farming?
- Raising The Rising Sun
- The Price of Love
- Centre for Public Inquiry
- Colin Powell admits UN white powder was not cocaine
- Xmas present for the Middle-East?
- Hell hath no fury like a short woman scorned
- The Limerick Leader
- God is a woman - it's official!
- McDowell leak to Irish independent
- Relativity of Iraq casualties
- David Norris and the Nazi Pope
- Is there a doctor in the house?
- Justice for the Dublin North Central One
- Budget to promote Traditional Catholic Families
- Vive la Republique
- Centre for Public Inquiry - Frank Connolly
- Irish Ferries Dispute
- ▼ December (29)