The government decision to raise The Rising Sun in a final effort to recover the body of Pat Colfer is a profligate waste of public money. Doubtless the exercise will cost hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of taxpayers euros while also involving some risk for those working on the salvage operation.
The initial tragedy of the sinking with the loss of 2 crew members has already been compounded by the death of a very experienced volunteer diver, Billy O‘Connor.
I’m frankly bewildered by the attitude of the family and the dozens of sub-aqua divers who volunteered their services and have been highly critical of the naval services for not allowing them risk further lives looking for the dead bodies. This might have been understandable were it not for the loss of Billy O’Connor on an earlier dive.
While understanding the natural desire of the Colfer family to recover and bury the body of Pat Colfer, it is ridiculous to risk further lives and incur huge expense for the taxpayer in this latest exercise.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- ► 2006 (265)
- The Parable of the Snake
- The Real Culcheral Capital
- Adiós Siesta
- Publication of 1975 Government Papers
- New Year Resolutions
- Bring on the Chat Chopper
- It's Tanfastic!
- Christmas thoughts
- Woman of the Year Nominee
- Gott in Himmel!
- What would Darwin know about it?
- Anyone for farming?
- Raising The Rising Sun
- The Price of Love
- Centre for Public Inquiry
- Colin Powell admits UN white powder was not cocaine
- Xmas present for the Middle-East?
- Hell hath no fury like a short woman scorned
- The Limerick Leader
- God is a woman - it's official!
- McDowell leak to Irish independent
- Relativity of Iraq casualties
- David Norris and the Nazi Pope
- Is there a doctor in the house?
- Justice for the Dublin North Central One
- Budget to promote Traditional Catholic Families
- Vive la Republique
- Centre for Public Inquiry - Frank Connolly
- Irish Ferries Dispute
- ▼ December (29)