On Tuesday, a federal judge barred a Pennsylvania school district yesterday from promoting "intelligent design" as an alternative to evolutionary theory. In a scathing opinion, he criticized local school board members for lying under oath and for their "breathtaking inanity" in trying to inject religion into science classes.
U.S. District Judge John E. Jones III, a Republican appointed by President Bush, did not confine his opinion to the inanity of the local school board. He also sought to debunk “intelligent design“, which argues that aspects of life are so complex as to require the hand, subtle or not, of a supernatural creator.
This theory, he said, relies on the unproven and unprovable existence of a Christian God and therefore is not science. "The overwhelming evidence is that Intelligent Design is a religious view, a mere re-labelling of creationism and not a scientific theory. It is an extension of the Fundamentalists' view that one must either accept the literal interpretation of Genesis or else believe in the godless system of evolution."
This case arose because the school board in Dover voted last year to require ninth-grade biology teachers to read a four-paragraph statement casting doubt on Darwin's theory of evolution and proposing that intelligent design offers an alternative theory for the origin and evolution of life.
Well just hold on a minute there, Your Honour!
If we accept the evolutionary model as espoused by Darwin, then it’s not just survival of the fittest but supremacy of the best. The Alpha Male is the leader of the pack, the top dog. He will typically be either the best physical specimen and/or the most intelligent animal.
So let’s look at the human race. The most powerful man on the planet, the Alpha Male, is George W. Bush. Not a stand-out success for the evolutionary model, is it? You might argue that it also doesn’t do much to support the “intelligent design” theory either, until you remember that, if God really is a woman, logic would not be a critical success factor in the design.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- ► 2006 (265)
- The Parable of the Snake
- The Real Culcheral Capital
- Adiós Siesta
- Publication of 1975 Government Papers
- New Year Resolutions
- Bring on the Chat Chopper
- It's Tanfastic!
- Christmas thoughts
- Woman of the Year Nominee
- Gott in Himmel!
- What would Darwin know about it?
- Anyone for farming?
- Raising The Rising Sun
- The Price of Love
- Centre for Public Inquiry
- Colin Powell admits UN white powder was not cocaine
- Xmas present for the Middle-East?
- Hell hath no fury like a short woman scorned
- The Limerick Leader
- God is a woman - it's official!
- McDowell leak to Irish independent
- Relativity of Iraq casualties
- David Norris and the Nazi Pope
- Is there a doctor in the house?
- Justice for the Dublin North Central One
- Budget to promote Traditional Catholic Families
- Vive la Republique
- Centre for Public Inquiry - Frank Connolly
- Irish Ferries Dispute
- ▼ December (29)