When challenged on areas of non-performance, all FF/PD representatives resort to a standard mantra that “all Governments since the foundation of the State have neglected etc etc…”.
This ignores the fact that all previous governments were effectively broke. The current FF/PD coalition has been in office for 9 years now and has had more money, in real terms, to spend than all previous administrations combined.
Minister Tim O'Malley is just the latest Government representative to offer this lame excuse. Deficiencies in public services arise either because of Government choices on how they prioritise public spending or incompetence in delivery of those services. Either way, the current government must accept political responsibility for the outcomes.
They’re quick enough to claim the credit for the health of the economy!
Footnote: Published as a letter in the Irish Independent.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- Political decision-making
- Taking the michael
- Batting for the batless
- Traveller Ping-Pong with Brenda
- What's McDowell reading?
- Still Travelling
- Revenge of the knee-high men.
- Txt Smrtns
- The Godfather speaks
- Not all travellers are equal
- Battleground for the next election
- Moriarty musings
- We were travellers too.
- Sunday Times Traveller
- Xmas Cracker Puzzle for grown-ups
- Politics and Gun & Drug Crime
- More BUPA
- Breaking News - Solheim Cup for Ireland
- Bye Bye BUPA
- In praise of the frying pan
- Age of Consent
- The First Time Buyer as Investor
- Redefining "The Family"
- Money talks - sometimes it makes sense.
- First Time Buyer Mirage
- Start working on New Year's Resolutions
- Paddy (abuse of) Power
- Snowed Under by Iraq Study Group Report
- Ever been savaged by a dead sheep?
- The unknown unknowns of Donald Rumsfeld
- Travellers - Moving On?
- The mental health of O'Malley's defence
- Black humour lives!
- Rumsfeld's U-Turn?
- Pre-budget speculation
- Paying your way!
- ▼ December (36)