On Friday morning I heard Plutarchos Sakellaris, vice-president of the European Investment Bank (EIB), interviewed on RTE where he confirmed that four Irish banks are actively negotiating with EIB for access to a pan-European €15 billion fund for lending to small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
It seems that Finance Minister Brian Lenihan also heard that interview because he announced that same evening that he had asked the banks to submit to him their plans for making funds available to the SME sector. This ministerial initiative has received considerable coverage on RTE over the weekend.
It all smacks of opportunistic PR, with the minister attempting to claim credit for an initiative already in train. I suppose desperate times call for desperate PR measures.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ABBA for President (No. 2)
- Stopping the Barbarians at the gate?
- The Government clutching at PR straws.
- Sunday Tribune Restaurant Reviews
- Sauvignon Blanc - Shelbourne style
- Banking on the Barbarians?
- Sorting out this mess of a budget.
- Pres & Glasthule residents done by Dunne?
- Shane Ross exposes himself!
- Wanted: Dunphy's bite back.
- Barack Obama - Offaly's 2nd current world statesman
- Sean O'Rourke disses Enda Kenny - again.
- Getting it up for over-40 men!
- On Her Majesty's Service - Halifax, Ulster Bank etc
- ▼ November (14)
- ► 2007 (215)
- ► 2006 (265)