Nationwide Conference (effectively 5th Div) minnows Burton Albion are set to make a fortune from their 3rd round FA cup clash with Man Utd.
Having held Utd to a draw last Sunday week in front of a full house at home, they are reported to be earning an additional £500k from tonight’s replay at Old Trafford.
In addition, Burton have maximised the money-making opportunities of this glamour tie by selling sponsorship of their playing gear on a once-off basis for the fixture. Thus, Paddy Power bookmakers feature on their shirt-fronts, The Sun newspaper on their shorts and Sanex cosmetics on the back of the shirt.
Tonight will undoubtedly be the end of the FA Cup road for them, but they’ve probably earned more from this one fixture than their entire earnings from the rest of the season.
No flies on these boys.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- What if Hitler hadn't invaded Poland?
- Deus Caritas Est
- The great internet lie?
- A sign of the times
- Wayne O'Donoghue Manslaughter Conviction
- Chomping on Chomsky & the 50-Years War
- Any chance of a start?
- Media standards - RTE & Eamonn Casey
- Vincent Browne monopolising the media
- Chomsky proves Newton's Law
- Burton's New Suits
- Decentralisation exposes cracks in the political s...
- Stringfellow's Dublin Club
- In the interest of balance
- Barcelona Ramblings
- Golf without balls?
- Lighthouse in a bog?
- Heaven or Hell?
- Working like blacks
- Tony Banks
- Angela Merkel - still in her first 100 days
- Ariel Sharon - an enigma in a paradox?
- Pope Benedict - RTE Profile
- The threat of Avian Influenza
- Who really owns Public Assets?
- Chill Out
- Recycling pays dividends for Vincent
- Time's Man of the Year controversy
- Not quite the end of the world, after all.
- ▼ January (29)