Who’ll be the new leader of the Green Party? The front-runners appear to be Gormley, Ryan and Cuffe.
John Gormley has always struck me as the main representative of the flakey wing of the party, but his personal conduct during the recent negotiations (not necessarily his ability as a negotiator) has suggested that he may be calming down to more acceptable and balanced levels.
Eamonn Ryan is another front runner who makes me uncomfortable. In fact, as uncomfortable as he himself appears to be - he twists and squirms as sincerity is given a physical manifestation as he speaks in a voice laden with emotion. But I don’t trust him since his solo-run in 2004 when he announced his candidature for the Presidency, without prior consultation with his party colleagues. This smacked of naked personal ambition and was ultimately shot down by the party, merely succeeding in making the Greens look like fools and political novices in the process.
Ciaran Cuffe is touted as another front-runner. He seems like a cold fish, I can’t imagine him enthusing members or being a great ad to attract new members. His pre-negotiation blog likening a deal with FF as a deal with the devil was in stark contrast to his pro-coalition attitude at yesterday’s Mansion House conference. He strikes me as a charisma-free politician who keeps his cards close to his chest and I wouldn’t trust him.
Gormley would probably be the deserving and safe choice, while Ryan might be more dangerous but, with more imagination, could produce innovative ideas and appeal to a younger audience.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Venus v. Mars - again!
- Britain to reciprocate with Ahern Chair endowment
- Tony Blair's Legacy - and he hasn't even left yet.
- How Gerry Adams paid for that Donegal holiday home.
- Government saving buyers from sellers!
- Bertie's Missing Money
- Political Banners
- An Taoiseach mis-speaks, again.
- Outgoing FF Minister claims authorship of Environm...
- Greens - the new Fianna Fail Lite
- Greens in office but not in power!
- Who'll be next leader of Green Party?
- Sargent sacrifice a necessary fig-leaf for Greens
- The fate of the man in the white suit?
- Blair to become catholic deacon?
- Chavez - time to Chile out!
- One Night in Paris
- How do you get on Pat Kenny's panel?
- Green Party VAT Policy seems misguided
- Boyd Barrett Bullsh1t
- It's Thatcher time
- Dutch blocked air support before Srebrenica massacre.
- Are FF the only party honestly enaged in the curre...
- The Mother Teresa of broadcasting
- Who'll win Political Gobshite of the Year 2007?
- ▼ June (25)
- ► 2006 (265)