Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Anthropomorphism gone mad(dog)?

As you know, anthropomorphism is the attribution of human characteristics to animals, plants (ask Prince Charles) etc., often to pets.

Currently Pedigree are using this concept to promote their dog teeth-cleaning product “dentisticks”.

The radio ad features a guy visiting a doctor/dentist (D) who asks him to “open wide” and then discovers the patient (P) has very bad breath.

D: “When did you last brush your teeth?”
P: “I tried it once years ago but I didn’t like it. So I gave it up”.
D: “What does your girlfriend think?”
P: “Funny that, I’ve never had a girlfriend”.

Clearly the objective is to imply that, if your pet’s breath smells, it will seriously inhibit his social activities and attractiveness to lady dogs.

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s generally the nether region, i.e. the opposite end of the dog, which is the object of attention for other sniffing dogs. In which case, it seems to me, it’s highly unlikely they will be put off by mere bad breath.

Also, the doggy love-making position doesn’t seem to involve much scope for mouth-to-mouth contact, unless they’ve developed a new variation that I’m unfamiliar with.

Now if they could develop a similar product for humans which obviated the need for teeth-brushing, they could be on to a real winner!

No comments:

Blog Archive