Regardless of one’s own political affiliation, it is a matter of national shame when a Taoiseach resigns under a cloud of suspicion, particularly as this is not the first such event in modern times.
Activities which are perceived to demonstrate a lack of ethical standards at senior Government level reflect badly on the country as a whole and the political classes in particular.
The anticipated elevation of Brian Cowan to the office of Taoiseach should have provided an opportunity for a fresh start and a commitment to new and higher standards.
However, the speedy re-admission of Beverly Flynn to the ranks of Fianna Fail suggests that, instead, we’re merely in for “more of the same”.
Footnote: Published as a letter in the Irish Times.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- Anthropomorphism gone mad(dog)?
- Rationing the Media & Politicians
- Empty Bus Lanes beside choked traffic lanes.
- What is RTE thinking about?
- BOI missing laptops - RTE spice up the story!
- Lisbon Treaty leads to 4rd Reich?
- Dun Laoghaire Plage - update
- Carpe Diem, Brian!
- Has Bertie Ahern been deliberately snubbed by the ...
- The last time our currency hit stg 80p
- The Greens and the Weighting of Ethics
- More of the same.
- Bertie Ahern - the latest victim of The Curse of t...
- ▼ April (13)
- ► 2007 (215)
- ► 2006 (265)