The state funeral for Charles J Haughey has been explained on the grounds of protocol, which grants the right to such a ceremony to all ex-Taoisigh.
This presumably would an extract from the same protocol manual which sent then Taoiseach de Valera to the German embassy in 1945 to extend condolences, on behalf of the Irish people, on the death of Adolf Hitler.
For all his faults there is clearly no equivalence between Haughey and the nazi monster, but it does just illustrate that protocol can be a complete ass.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- ► 2007 (215)
- RTE - a gravy train we're all paying for.
- Bertie the good shepherd
- Tax Dodgers in Paradise
- McDowell's toys out of pram - again.
- The Haughey tunnel
- The Boss follows in the footsteps of The Chief
- Ronan O'Gara - Alone he stands
- Vincent Browne re-invents GUBU!
- Protocol gone mad
- The missing comma
- Time gentlemen, please.
- Haughey's Medici Complex
- Death of Charles Haughey
- Gone but not forgiven - Charlie Haughey
- That Maths Paper
- Learning to Reed & Rite
- What's the point of the new Garda Traffic Corps?
- Turning up the heat on Michael Moore?
- Re-trying Derry O'Rourke?
- ▼ June (19)