Today is another excellent election photo opportunity for Taoiseach Bertie Ahern as he hosts a visit by Ian Paisley to the site of the Battle of the Boyne (1690), which is celebrated every 12th July by the Orange Order in Northern Ireland
Dr Paisley will be invited to plant a tree at the site of the battle. There’s no truth in the rumour that the taigs will provide him with an orange tree sapling for the planting ceremony. In the Irish climate, an orange tree wouldn’t survive its first winter in the Boyne valley.
Which links to another story about the diplomacy and love-bombing by the Irish Government of the same Dr Paisley during the tortuous negotiations with the DUP over the past few years. Dr Paisley’s 50th wedding anniversary occurred during one of those negotiating sessions at St Andrews last year and both the Irish & British governments decided that they should give him and his wife a present to mark the occasion.
“What are you giving him, Bertie?” Blair asked Ahern. “A wooden bowl” replied Bertie. “A wooden what?” came the perplexed response. “It’s very symbolic, Tony” explained Bertie, “it’s carved from a fallen walnut tree at the site of the Battle of the Boyne”.
“What are we giving him?” Blair asked an aide. “A photograph album” replied the aide. “F***!” said Blair, “Bertie, can we present that bowl of yours as a joint gift?”.
“F*** off, Tony” came the instant reply.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Inappropriate Speed Limits
- McDowell leads PDs down the road to perdition
- Post-Election Tranquility - for the moment
- Time to fire John Deasy
- McDowell's missed opportunity
- Clouds, Silver Linings etc..
- Michael McDowell - No Thanks
- A Vote for Roche is a Vote for.......
- Going for Chelsea Gold
- McDowell's credentials in question
- Latest election betting
- What Bertie won't tell you.
- Hung Dail in prospect
- Tomorrow's News Today!
- Are PD Chickens coming home to FF roost?
- Latest odds on Election Outcomes
- The Great Election Debate
- Is Michael McDowell a democrat?
- Bertie's latest digout from friends
- Last sting of a dying B?
- Clinton, Blair & Mitchell endorse Bertie Ahern
- Where are the Alternative Rottweilers?
- Get ready for musical chairs
- Bertie does Sisyphus
- Beresfordgate will rumble on.
- Bruton mugged by Biffo on RTE
- New poll boost for alternative coalition
- Charlie's Epitaph
- Eurovision kettle calls pot black
- Public Probity has many facets.
- Ireland winner at Eurovision High-Low
- McDowell pardons Ahern
- Dun Laoghaire - gone to hell.
- Political Probity comes at a price.
- It's getting bitchy out there!
- Are our nurses over-qualified or under-paid?
- Battle of the Boyne revisited
- Tony Blair's Political Legacy
- What's left of McDowell & PD credibility?
- FF Election Tactics and a compliant media
- Ireland's Titanic Eurovision song
- McDowell throws toys out of the pram!
- The "Fourth Way"
- Bertiegate and the silence of the opposition
- Sauve qui peut!
- Retrospective Legislation
- The bookies win again.
- AC Milan 3 - Man UTD 0
- Is the Health System defrauding the VHI?
- What would old Mr Brennan say?
- Bertiegate & CAB
- Clamping in Dun Laoghaire
- Lamb of God
- ▼ May (53)
- ► 2006 (265)