Bertie’s well crafted speech at Westminster was better delivered than I had expected from him. There was a brief loss of sound on the RTE coverage shortly after Bertie had begun to speak, and the inclusion by the script writer of a reference to the myth of Sisyphus and his rock somewhat taxed Bertie’s “nortside” diction, but otherwise it was well delivered and well received.
And no-one could have received a more generous introduction than that accorded to him by Tony Blair. It is ironic that the genuine diplomatic triumph in Northern Ireland achieved by both men may well prove to be their shared swan-song. Tony Blair will be gone from Downing St by the end of June. Bertie may be gone as Taoiseach, and leader of FF, even before that.
Someone on radio today was quoting Enoch Powell’s famous dictum that all political careers end in failure.
The latest polls suggest that a change of government later this month is a real possibility, but there’s still time for FF to recover and/or for the alternative coalition to blow it. I’ll be hoping for Bertie’s political demise on 24th May, but it would be churlish not to accord him due credit for his achievements in the northern peace process.
Lets’ s hope that, like Sisyphus, FF efforts to recover the situation will be akin to rolling a rock to the top of a mountain, only to have it roll back down again.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Inappropriate Speed Limits
- McDowell leads PDs down the road to perdition
- Post-Election Tranquility - for the moment
- Time to fire John Deasy
- McDowell's missed opportunity
- Clouds, Silver Linings etc..
- Michael McDowell - No Thanks
- A Vote for Roche is a Vote for.......
- Going for Chelsea Gold
- McDowell's credentials in question
- Latest election betting
- What Bertie won't tell you.
- Hung Dail in prospect
- Tomorrow's News Today!
- Are PD Chickens coming home to FF roost?
- Latest odds on Election Outcomes
- The Great Election Debate
- Is Michael McDowell a democrat?
- Bertie's latest digout from friends
- Last sting of a dying B?
- Clinton, Blair & Mitchell endorse Bertie Ahern
- Where are the Alternative Rottweilers?
- Get ready for musical chairs
- Bertie does Sisyphus
- Beresfordgate will rumble on.
- Bruton mugged by Biffo on RTE
- New poll boost for alternative coalition
- Charlie's Epitaph
- Eurovision kettle calls pot black
- Public Probity has many facets.
- Ireland winner at Eurovision High-Low
- McDowell pardons Ahern
- Dun Laoghaire - gone to hell.
- Political Probity comes at a price.
- It's getting bitchy out there!
- Are our nurses over-qualified or under-paid?
- Battle of the Boyne revisited
- Tony Blair's Political Legacy
- What's left of McDowell & PD credibility?
- FF Election Tactics and a compliant media
- Ireland's Titanic Eurovision song
- McDowell throws toys out of the pram!
- The "Fourth Way"
- Bertiegate and the silence of the opposition
- Sauve qui peut!
- Retrospective Legislation
- The bookies win again.
- AC Milan 3 - Man UTD 0
- Is the Health System defrauding the VHI?
- What would old Mr Brennan say?
- Bertiegate & CAB
- Clamping in Dun Laoghaire
- Lamb of God
- ▼ May (53)
- ► 2006 (265)