Tuesday, May 01, 2007
Lamb of God
About a year ago I was watching an RTE fly-on-the-wall documentary about a variety of carers with their individual challenges and circumstances.
One situation was a single Cork man of about 60 who was looking after his physically disabled but reasonably mentally alert father. It was quite touching. but not without its moments of humour, some perhaps accidental.
In telling the story of the carer, the film-maker used a technique of having him talk to third parties about his father, rather than speaking direct to camera. One such scene had him in his local barbershop getting a haircut. The barber asks him questions about his father, including “and has he got a good appetite?”. “Oh yes”, replies the son, “he’d eat the hind leg of the Lamb of God”.
It was delivered and received in a completely deadpan way, suggesting that it’s a common expression in that part of Cork, though I’d never heard it before and thought it hilarious.
So when I saw this “Baby Jesus” saucisson on a recent visit to Paris, I had to buy it. I’d have bought more than one, but the wife was adamant that it would stink everything in the suitcase and I was lucky to get away with one. With the new security regulations, items such as this can’t be taken through in hand luggage.
I’m still on the lookout for a butcher brave enough to advertise “lamb of god”. I'll be stocking the freezer when I find one!
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Inappropriate Speed Limits
- McDowell leads PDs down the road to perdition
- Post-Election Tranquility - for the moment
- Time to fire John Deasy
- McDowell's missed opportunity
- Clouds, Silver Linings etc..
- Michael McDowell - No Thanks
- A Vote for Roche is a Vote for.......
- Going for Chelsea Gold
- McDowell's credentials in question
- Latest election betting
- What Bertie won't tell you.
- Hung Dail in prospect
- Tomorrow's News Today!
- Are PD Chickens coming home to FF roost?
- Latest odds on Election Outcomes
- The Great Election Debate
- Is Michael McDowell a democrat?
- Bertie's latest digout from friends
- Last sting of a dying B?
- Clinton, Blair & Mitchell endorse Bertie Ahern
- Where are the Alternative Rottweilers?
- Get ready for musical chairs
- Bertie does Sisyphus
- Beresfordgate will rumble on.
- Bruton mugged by Biffo on RTE
- New poll boost for alternative coalition
- Charlie's Epitaph
- Eurovision kettle calls pot black
- Public Probity has many facets.
- Ireland winner at Eurovision High-Low
- McDowell pardons Ahern
- Dun Laoghaire - gone to hell.
- Political Probity comes at a price.
- It's getting bitchy out there!
- Are our nurses over-qualified or under-paid?
- Battle of the Boyne revisited
- Tony Blair's Political Legacy
- What's left of McDowell & PD credibility?
- FF Election Tactics and a compliant media
- Ireland's Titanic Eurovision song
- McDowell throws toys out of the pram!
- The "Fourth Way"
- Bertiegate and the silence of the opposition
- Sauve qui peut!
- Retrospective Legislation
- The bookies win again.
- AC Milan 3 - Man UTD 0
- Is the Health System defrauding the VHI?
- What would old Mr Brennan say?
- Bertiegate & CAB
- Clamping in Dun Laoghaire
- Lamb of God
- ▼ May (53)
- ► 2006 (265)