Thursday, May 10, 2007
What's left of McDowell & PD credibility?
Courtesy of today’s Irish Independent, here’s a photo of best friends Tánaiste Michael McDowell and Taoiseach Bertie Ahern at yesterday's annual 1916 State commemoration ceremony at Arbour Hill, Dublin.
Only last weekend, there was media certainty that McDowell was recommending to his Oireachtas colleagues that the Progressive Democrats pull out of Government with Fianna Fail. It is widely believed that this position was supported by former PD leader Mary Harney. In the event, the PDs decided instead to deliver an ultimatum to Taoiseach Bertie Ahern.
On Sunday, this was done by Michael McDowell at a press conference where, without detailing what new information had arisen regarding the Ahern housing situation of the early 1990s, McDowell laid it on the line for Ahern: if he was to put himself before the people as a suitable candidate for Taoiseach, he had to explain the circumstances surrounding the purchase of the house and certain, seemingly related, foreign exchange transactions.
On Tuesday, McDowell accompanied the Taoiseach to the restoration of the Nortern Ireland Assembly at Stormont and described their meeting as cordial.
On Wednesday, Mary Harney was expressing confidence in Bertie Ahern and looking forward to being back in Government with him after the election. Meanwhile, McDowell was socialising with the Taoiseach at the Arbour Hill ceremony and suggesting that Ahern should be allowed take as much time as he wants to prepare the statement on his personal financial affairs.
So, in the space of just 4 days, the Tanaiste has gone from almost leaving the Government to one where he and his party are attempting to cosy up once again to Fianna Fail.
Do Michael McDowell or the Progressive Democrat Party have any political or ethical credibility left?
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Inappropriate Speed Limits
- McDowell leads PDs down the road to perdition
- Post-Election Tranquility - for the moment
- Time to fire John Deasy
- McDowell's missed opportunity
- Clouds, Silver Linings etc..
- Michael McDowell - No Thanks
- A Vote for Roche is a Vote for.......
- Going for Chelsea Gold
- McDowell's credentials in question
- Latest election betting
- What Bertie won't tell you.
- Hung Dail in prospect
- Tomorrow's News Today!
- Are PD Chickens coming home to FF roost?
- Latest odds on Election Outcomes
- The Great Election Debate
- Is Michael McDowell a democrat?
- Bertie's latest digout from friends
- Last sting of a dying B?
- Clinton, Blair & Mitchell endorse Bertie Ahern
- Where are the Alternative Rottweilers?
- Get ready for musical chairs
- Bertie does Sisyphus
- Beresfordgate will rumble on.
- Bruton mugged by Biffo on RTE
- New poll boost for alternative coalition
- Charlie's Epitaph
- Eurovision kettle calls pot black
- Public Probity has many facets.
- Ireland winner at Eurovision High-Low
- McDowell pardons Ahern
- Dun Laoghaire - gone to hell.
- Political Probity comes at a price.
- It's getting bitchy out there!
- Are our nurses over-qualified or under-paid?
- Battle of the Boyne revisited
- Tony Blair's Political Legacy
- What's left of McDowell & PD credibility?
- FF Election Tactics and a compliant media
- Ireland's Titanic Eurovision song
- McDowell throws toys out of the pram!
- The "Fourth Way"
- Bertiegate and the silence of the opposition
- Sauve qui peut!
- Retrospective Legislation
- The bookies win again.
- AC Milan 3 - Man UTD 0
- Is the Health System defrauding the VHI?
- What would old Mr Brennan say?
- Bertiegate & CAB
- Clamping in Dun Laoghaire
- Lamb of God
- ▼ May (53)
- ► 2006 (265)