Tuesday, May 15, 2007
Get ready for musical chairs
(click on image to enlarge)
The political musical chairs after the election will be fascinating and probably highly convoluted.
Martyn Turner’s cartoon in today’s Irish Times beautifully illustrates the problem for the incumbent coalition partners, if the latest opinion polls prove to be in any way accurate. They simply won’t be anywhere near the numbers required to form a government.
To date, all other parties have repeatedly ruled out Sinn Féin as potential coalition partners.
Both Pat Rabbitte of Labour and Trevor Sargent , leader of the Greens, had already ruled out the option of personally leading their respective parties into coalition with Fianna Fail.
Today, the PDs have ruled out participating in government with Labour.
Also today, Trevor Sargent has, based on the latest polls, now ruled out the Greens going into coalition with Fianna Fail, while expressing a desire to go into government with the Fine Gael/Labour alternative.
However, Sargent then proceeded to rub Fine Gael up the wrong way by saying that he wouldn’t go into coalition with them if what was on offer was “Fianna Fail Lite”. The Greens further pissed off Labour as well by claiming that all the larger parties are in hock to big business because they take corporate donations.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Inappropriate Speed Limits
- McDowell leads PDs down the road to perdition
- Post-Election Tranquility - for the moment
- Time to fire John Deasy
- McDowell's missed opportunity
- Clouds, Silver Linings etc..
- Michael McDowell - No Thanks
- A Vote for Roche is a Vote for.......
- Going for Chelsea Gold
- McDowell's credentials in question
- Latest election betting
- What Bertie won't tell you.
- Hung Dail in prospect
- Tomorrow's News Today!
- Are PD Chickens coming home to FF roost?
- Latest odds on Election Outcomes
- The Great Election Debate
- Is Michael McDowell a democrat?
- Bertie's latest digout from friends
- Last sting of a dying B?
- Clinton, Blair & Mitchell endorse Bertie Ahern
- Where are the Alternative Rottweilers?
- Get ready for musical chairs
- Bertie does Sisyphus
- Beresfordgate will rumble on.
- Bruton mugged by Biffo on RTE
- New poll boost for alternative coalition
- Charlie's Epitaph
- Eurovision kettle calls pot black
- Public Probity has many facets.
- Ireland winner at Eurovision High-Low
- McDowell pardons Ahern
- Dun Laoghaire - gone to hell.
- Political Probity comes at a price.
- It's getting bitchy out there!
- Are our nurses over-qualified or under-paid?
- Battle of the Boyne revisited
- Tony Blair's Political Legacy
- What's left of McDowell & PD credibility?
- FF Election Tactics and a compliant media
- Ireland's Titanic Eurovision song
- McDowell throws toys out of the pram!
- The "Fourth Way"
- Bertiegate and the silence of the opposition
- Sauve qui peut!
- Retrospective Legislation
- The bookies win again.
- AC Milan 3 - Man UTD 0
- Is the Health System defrauding the VHI?
- What would old Mr Brennan say?
- Bertiegate & CAB
- Clamping in Dun Laoghaire
- Lamb of God
- ▼ May (53)
- ► 2006 (265)