The 2007 Chelsea Flower Show has 20 entries in the Show Garden category.
The following is the breakdown of Medal winners:
Gold medals: 7
Silver Gilt: 5
In other words, every Show Garden was awarded a medal of some sort and over one-third of the gardens earned a Gold Medal, which must somewhat devalue the actual achievement.
Creating a garden for the show and winning a medal is obviously a great was of promoting a gardening/landscaping business. Diarmuid Gavin has undoubtedly gained huge publicity from his involvement at Chelsea on a number of occasions - he won a Silver Gilt medal this year - which means he finished in the range 8-12 out of 20.
There are persistent media reports that Fitzpatrick Gardening & Gambling Inc. has recognised the possibilities and is actively considering submitting an entry for next year’s Chelsea show. One can readily envisage areas of lawn set out as roulette or blackjack tables. I'm reliably informed that employees are not looking forward to this project, particularly the noisy and dirty job of using an angle-grinder to cut square paving slabs, in different colours, into circular chips.
Footnote: Today's Indo carries a report by Anne-Marie Walsh in which it states: "Gavin revealed that one of the Royal Horticultural Society judges told him the wrong garden had taken the gold medal". Which one of the seven gold medals awarded would that be, Diarmuid? Chancer!
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Inappropriate Speed Limits
- McDowell leads PDs down the road to perdition
- Post-Election Tranquility - for the moment
- Time to fire John Deasy
- McDowell's missed opportunity
- Clouds, Silver Linings etc..
- Michael McDowell - No Thanks
- A Vote for Roche is a Vote for.......
- Going for Chelsea Gold
- McDowell's credentials in question
- Latest election betting
- What Bertie won't tell you.
- Hung Dail in prospect
- Tomorrow's News Today!
- Are PD Chickens coming home to FF roost?
- Latest odds on Election Outcomes
- The Great Election Debate
- Is Michael McDowell a democrat?
- Bertie's latest digout from friends
- Last sting of a dying B?
- Clinton, Blair & Mitchell endorse Bertie Ahern
- Where are the Alternative Rottweilers?
- Get ready for musical chairs
- Bertie does Sisyphus
- Beresfordgate will rumble on.
- Bruton mugged by Biffo on RTE
- New poll boost for alternative coalition
- Charlie's Epitaph
- Eurovision kettle calls pot black
- Public Probity has many facets.
- Ireland winner at Eurovision High-Low
- McDowell pardons Ahern
- Dun Laoghaire - gone to hell.
- Political Probity comes at a price.
- It's getting bitchy out there!
- Are our nurses over-qualified or under-paid?
- Battle of the Boyne revisited
- Tony Blair's Political Legacy
- What's left of McDowell & PD credibility?
- FF Election Tactics and a compliant media
- Ireland's Titanic Eurovision song
- McDowell throws toys out of the pram!
- The "Fourth Way"
- Bertiegate and the silence of the opposition
- Sauve qui peut!
- Retrospective Legislation
- The bookies win again.
- AC Milan 3 - Man UTD 0
- Is the Health System defrauding the VHI?
- What would old Mr Brennan say?
- Bertiegate & CAB
- Clamping in Dun Laoghaire
- Lamb of God
- ▼ May (53)
- ► 2006 (265)