Bertie Ahern yesterday derided Enda Kenny’s suggestion that an independent arbitrator be appointed to try to resolve the nurse’s strike. In a wonderful put-down, Bertie gave Enda a fool’s pardon: “I accept he has no experience in industrial relations and never had.”
Having given Enda’s idea the boot, he then trotted out his own proposal which sounds suspiciously similar the one he had just dismissed with contempt: "I'm prepared to appoint an independent eminent person to oversee the process and give him or her the brief to ensure that every possible option [is examined] to facilitate the achievement of a 35-hour week for nurses within the framework of social partnership."
What is curious about the current industrial relations problems in the health system is the absence of intervention by the Taoiseach. He had achieved an enviable reputation as a fixer in such high profile disputes in the past. I suspect that if the Health portfolio was held by a Fianna Fail minister we’d have seen a Bertie intervention long ago. However, as the relevant minister is a member of the hyper-sensitive PD coalition partners, he’s probably felt obliged to operate at arms length.
Unless of course Pat Rabbitte’s assessment is correct. Reacting yesterday to the Taoiseach’s comments and defending Enda Kenny’s proposed approach, Rabbitte reminded the media of Ahern’s reputation as a fixer, “especially when advised in advance that the outcome was likely to be successful”.
Ouch! It’s getting bitchy out there.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Inappropriate Speed Limits
- McDowell leads PDs down the road to perdition
- Post-Election Tranquility - for the moment
- Time to fire John Deasy
- McDowell's missed opportunity
- Clouds, Silver Linings etc..
- Michael McDowell - No Thanks
- A Vote for Roche is a Vote for.......
- Going for Chelsea Gold
- McDowell's credentials in question
- Latest election betting
- What Bertie won't tell you.
- Hung Dail in prospect
- Tomorrow's News Today!
- Are PD Chickens coming home to FF roost?
- Latest odds on Election Outcomes
- The Great Election Debate
- Is Michael McDowell a democrat?
- Bertie's latest digout from friends
- Last sting of a dying B?
- Clinton, Blair & Mitchell endorse Bertie Ahern
- Where are the Alternative Rottweilers?
- Get ready for musical chairs
- Bertie does Sisyphus
- Beresfordgate will rumble on.
- Bruton mugged by Biffo on RTE
- New poll boost for alternative coalition
- Charlie's Epitaph
- Eurovision kettle calls pot black
- Public Probity has many facets.
- Ireland winner at Eurovision High-Low
- McDowell pardons Ahern
- Dun Laoghaire - gone to hell.
- Political Probity comes at a price.
- It's getting bitchy out there!
- Are our nurses over-qualified or under-paid?
- Battle of the Boyne revisited
- Tony Blair's Political Legacy
- What's left of McDowell & PD credibility?
- FF Election Tactics and a compliant media
- Ireland's Titanic Eurovision song
- McDowell throws toys out of the pram!
- The "Fourth Way"
- Bertiegate and the silence of the opposition
- Sauve qui peut!
- Retrospective Legislation
- The bookies win again.
- AC Milan 3 - Man UTD 0
- Is the Health System defrauding the VHI?
- What would old Mr Brennan say?
- Bertiegate & CAB
- Clamping in Dun Laoghaire
- Lamb of God
- ▼ May (53)
- ► 2006 (265)