Last sunday we bought a copy of the Sunday Independent on the Champs Elysees, it just shows how desperate you get for news from home even though you’ve only been away for a few days.
My blood pressure was raised by a report of Cllr Eugene Regan, Cathaoirleach of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co Co , defending the decision of County Manager Owen Keegan to introduce car clamping to the borough. Cllr Regan claims that the application of the clamping will be limited to persistent offenders and is quoted as saying that “this is entirely different to most systems of clamping, such as that applied in Dublin City, where one is clamped for every type of parking offence including overstaying or parking on double yellow lines.”
Dublin City clamping was introduced by the same Owen Keegan and, at the time, the public was assured that it would only be applied to cars which were illegally parked and causing an actual obstruction to traffic or access to premises. Cllr Regan may have forgotten, but the rest of us haven’t, just how quickly and completely that promise was dishonoured.
Residents of Dun Laoghaire have little confidence in the good intentions of either County Manager Keegan or Cathaoirleach Regan with regard to clamping, but only the latter is seeking election in three weeks time. He should bear that in mind.
Regan will get a piece of my mind if he calls canvassing before the election. He’s just moved himself right down the preference list on my voting paper.
I've blasted off a protest letter to the Sindo.
Footnote: Although the Sunday Independent failed to publish my excellent letter on the subject, their edition of 13th May reports that Councillor Regan has now done a complete about turn and is calling for a halt to the proposed introduction of clamping on June 1st. It's amazing what a little abuse on the doorsteps can achieve as he seeks votes in the upcoming election. Scary to think that this revolving man is Cathaoirleach of DLRCoCo.
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Inappropriate Speed Limits
- McDowell leads PDs down the road to perdition
- Post-Election Tranquility - for the moment
- Time to fire John Deasy
- McDowell's missed opportunity
- Clouds, Silver Linings etc..
- Michael McDowell - No Thanks
- A Vote for Roche is a Vote for.......
- Going for Chelsea Gold
- McDowell's credentials in question
- Latest election betting
- What Bertie won't tell you.
- Hung Dail in prospect
- Tomorrow's News Today!
- Are PD Chickens coming home to FF roost?
- Latest odds on Election Outcomes
- The Great Election Debate
- Is Michael McDowell a democrat?
- Bertie's latest digout from friends
- Last sting of a dying B?
- Clinton, Blair & Mitchell endorse Bertie Ahern
- Where are the Alternative Rottweilers?
- Get ready for musical chairs
- Bertie does Sisyphus
- Beresfordgate will rumble on.
- Bruton mugged by Biffo on RTE
- New poll boost for alternative coalition
- Charlie's Epitaph
- Eurovision kettle calls pot black
- Public Probity has many facets.
- Ireland winner at Eurovision High-Low
- McDowell pardons Ahern
- Dun Laoghaire - gone to hell.
- Political Probity comes at a price.
- It's getting bitchy out there!
- Are our nurses over-qualified or under-paid?
- Battle of the Boyne revisited
- Tony Blair's Political Legacy
- What's left of McDowell & PD credibility?
- FF Election Tactics and a compliant media
- Ireland's Titanic Eurovision song
- McDowell throws toys out of the pram!
- The "Fourth Way"
- Bertiegate and the silence of the opposition
- Sauve qui peut!
- Retrospective Legislation
- The bookies win again.
- AC Milan 3 - Man UTD 0
- Is the Health System defrauding the VHI?
- What would old Mr Brennan say?
- Bertiegate & CAB
- Clamping in Dun Laoghaire
- Lamb of God
- ▼ May (53)
- ► 2006 (265)