Taoiseach Bertie Ahern this afternoon released his promised statement on the circumstances surrounding his 1997 house purchase. This had been largely superseded by his extensive “interview” on the topic, published in this morning’s Sunday Independent, but the later statement served to flesh out some of the details.
However, on RTE’s “This Week” news review at 1.00pm today, Michael McDowell, in advance of the issue of the more detailed Ahern statement, was already confirming that he was now satisfied with the Taoiseach’s explanation and would be happy to serve in a new coalition with Bertie and Fianna Fail after the election.
In fact, McDowell was anxious to discuss the “real issues“, rather than Bertie’s personal finances, as if the latter had merely been a dastardly opposition plot to distract the electorate from those real issues. You’d never have guessed that it was McDowell himself who, last weekend, was issuing dire warnings and demanding a full and frank explanation from the Taoiseach, who was required to prove to the electorate that he was worthy of their trust.
Indeed, if the entire media is to be believed, McDowell had planned to quit the Government at that point in time and was only dissuaded by the rural PD TDs, who need Fianna Fail transfers if they’re to have any chance of retaining their seats.
Are we now to believe that McDowell might well have been satisfied by the explanation available if he had simply chosen to phone Ahern, rather than first setting out to bring down the Government but then settling for that crisis press conference last Sunday?
Just what does this all say about the political judgement of a man who holds one of the most sensitive portfolios in the Government?
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (78)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Inappropriate Speed Limits
- McDowell leads PDs down the road to perdition
- Post-Election Tranquility - for the moment
- Time to fire John Deasy
- McDowell's missed opportunity
- Clouds, Silver Linings etc..
- Michael McDowell - No Thanks
- A Vote for Roche is a Vote for.......
- Going for Chelsea Gold
- McDowell's credentials in question
- Latest election betting
- What Bertie won't tell you.
- Hung Dail in prospect
- Tomorrow's News Today!
- Are PD Chickens coming home to FF roost?
- Latest odds on Election Outcomes
- The Great Election Debate
- Is Michael McDowell a democrat?
- Bertie's latest digout from friends
- Last sting of a dying B?
- Clinton, Blair & Mitchell endorse Bertie Ahern
- Where are the Alternative Rottweilers?
- Get ready for musical chairs
- Bertie does Sisyphus
- Beresfordgate will rumble on.
- Bruton mugged by Biffo on RTE
- New poll boost for alternative coalition
- Charlie's Epitaph
- Eurovision kettle calls pot black
- Public Probity has many facets.
- Ireland winner at Eurovision High-Low
- McDowell pardons Ahern
- Dun Laoghaire - gone to hell.
- Political Probity comes at a price.
- It's getting bitchy out there!
- Are our nurses over-qualified or under-paid?
- Battle of the Boyne revisited
- Tony Blair's Political Legacy
- What's left of McDowell & PD credibility?
- FF Election Tactics and a compliant media
- Ireland's Titanic Eurovision song
- McDowell throws toys out of the pram!
- The "Fourth Way"
- Bertiegate and the silence of the opposition
- Sauve qui peut!
- Retrospective Legislation
- The bookies win again.
- AC Milan 3 - Man UTD 0
- Is the Health System defrauding the VHI?
- What would old Mr Brennan say?
- Bertiegate & CAB
- Clamping in Dun Laoghaire
- Lamb of God
- ▼ May (53)
- ► 2006 (265)